Change of Work Environment
Have you moved to a new industry, new company or new country?
You may find the new environment overwhelming as you step into it. There is so much to understand, from the business expectations and culture to how do I fit into my team. Understanding your new environment is key to you being able to fulfil your role and deliver.
Coaching can support you on this journey, including prioritising key actions.
This may include understanding:
- What the company vision, strategy and goals are and how that translates to your role?
- What is the business culture in the new environment?
- What looks familiar and how to confirm that it is?
- What appears to be different and who can help you understand how it works?
How do you map your new landscape: Who are you peers and how do you engage with them, what support can they give you and what do they expect of you?
Most importantly, how do you ensure that the first contact with your new team is positive and engages them? Coaching can help you navigate the new environment and map out a plan for the first months.
Some reasons to consider Organisational Coaching
- An individual or team might choose to work with a coach for many reasons, including but not limited to the following:
- Something urgent, compelling or exciting is at stake (a challenge, stretch goal or opportunity)
- A gap exists in knowledge, skills, confidence or resources
- A desire to accelerate results
- A lack of clarity with choices to be made
- Success has started to become problematic
- Work and life are out of balance, creating unwanted consequences
- Core strengths need to be identified, along with how best to leverage them
- What is Professional Coaching
Provides objective assessment and observations that foster the individual’s or team’s self-awareness and awareness of others
Listens closely to fully understand the individual’s or team’s circumstances
Acts as a sounding board in exploring possibilities and implementing thoughtful planning and decision making
Champions opportunities and potential, encouraging stretch and challenge commensurate with personal strengths and aspirations
Fosters shifts in thinking that reveal fresh perspectives
Challenges blind spots to illuminate new possibilities and support the creation of alternative scenarios
Maintains professional boundaries in the coaching relationship, including confidentiality, and adheres to the coaching profession’s code of ethics
- Creates the coaching agenda based on personally meaningful coaching goals
- Uses assessment and observations to enhance self-awareness and awareness of others
- Envisions personal and/or organisational success
- Assumes full responsibility for personal decisions and actions
- Utilises the coaching process to promote possibility thinking and fresh perspectives
- Takes courageous action in alignment with personal goals and aspirations
- Engages big-picture thinking and problem-solving skills
- Takes the tools, concepts, models and principles provided by the coach and engages in effective forward actions
How is Coaching Delivered
Coaching typically begins with a initial complementary ‘meet and greet’ (either face-to-face or by teleconference call) to assess the individual’s or business’ current opportunities and challenges, identify priorities for action and establish specific desired outcomes.
Subsequent coaching sessions are conducted in person, by video link or by telephone, normally for one hour and set between two and four weeks apart, the timing being flexible to suit your schedule. Between scheduled coaching sessions, the individual may be asked to complete specific actions that support the achievement of one’s personally prioritised goals. The duration of the coaching relationship varies depending on needs and preferences.
The Outcomes of Coaching May Include
- Acceleration of personal and professional growth based on self-initiated change
- Improved personal skills: leadership, communication, motivating, delegating, time management
- Achieving goals in ways that were not obvious initially
- Becoming aware of experience and leveraging it to help achieve goals
- Building better relationships by improving self-awareness and awareness of others